I get a lot of email asking about the “model” I use for many of my tutorials. People looking to find a good way to practice their ties, etc.
I’m sure it will come as a total shock to learn that the majority of the tutorials are shot using what is basically a life-sized, posable doll (gasp!)
Why a doll?
- I do most of my work using the doll because I can work any random time I want and for any duration. I can work for 5 random minutes and then leave the doll tied up for 2 days until I have time to work again. Or I can work when I pop awake at 2 freaking AM (grumble, grumble).
- I do work with live models as well–the doll cannot assume every needed position (for example, I needed a live partner to shoot the frog tie and the futomomo because the doll cannot go fully ankle-to-thigh like a real person can)
Why all the white?
I dress my models in a white Zentai for a few reasons
- The primary goal of TheDuchy is education, not titillation. I know that I loose potential members sometimes because they want to see some skin, and I am working to offer that in the Behind-the-Scene section, but that isn’t the main point of the main tutorial section. I wanted the tutorials themselves to be accessible and appeal to people who are very new to all off this, not just people who are very experienced. I don’t want to scare off new, potentially sensitive, people. So I elected to remove skin from the equation. It is just about the rope, the bondage and the technique.
- I also wanted the bondage to be as visible and clear as possible. With a white background and white subject, the light bounces around really well, lighting the ropes and my blue gloves so that things are easier for people to see.
- (This is also the primary reason that I have the camera zoomed tightly in to the bondage knots in my pictures and videos. You loose out a little of me interacting with you on camera, but this isn’t about me; it is about getting the best shot of the bondage technique that I can. Perhaps someday I can afford a camera operator, but at the moment, its just me, so I do what i can…)
- The white has turned out to be pretty good from a branding perspective. People generally know my work because of the clean look and simplicity. Since I have started doing this, I have noted others starting to imitate me, but, as they say, that is the sincerest form of flattery 😉
- If you happen to like the look and want to order a Zentai, you can get them from many sources. I get mine from VSVO on Amazon. The really cool thing about the VSVO offering is that you can get it sized made to order to it will fit *you*, not some random dimensions. Pretty sweet!
Where did you get your doll?
Where can I get something that might work well to practice on?
The one I use is actually a medium-high end fuck doll. lol. Gives me lines that photograph well and mostly can be moved/positioned as I need. They are pretty expensive though. The one I am using at the moment is “Brandy” from PassionDolls (pic below). Better ones exist, but this one is working pretty well for now.
I’ve even seen people tie some pool noodles to a couch cushion to build something to practice on. Very creative and pretty low cost! 😉